Monday, 5 August 2013

Pippa's Ripper Zipper Necklace.

I have a tendency to buy items from thrift stores with absolutely no project in mind. Around 2 years ago I bought a box full of grey zippers for $5.00. Those zippers have pretty much stayed in the box waiting for some refashioning project ideas. Having spotted a colourful zipper necklace on pinterest that used zip heads and jump rings only, I thought that I would made my own Anthropologie style version.
Box full of chalked marked zippers.

Jump rings and zipper heads being attached using jewellers pliers

This strand is made up of 7 zipper heads and attached half way down a discarded double chain with a jump ring.

I will use one of these vintage buttons to add a bit of detail to the necklace.

This discarded part of the zipper I have turned into a bow which will be attached halfway down one side of the necklace. This will then give it an Anthropologie feel. I sew this bow into place.
Completed necklace. I created a second chain of 9 zipper heads which I attached with jump rings halfway down the silver double chain. Look closely and you will see the vintage button on the left hand side. Underneath the bow on the righthand side I had added a tarnished heart.

Necklace ready to wear all in grey and silver tonings.






6 comments:

  1. So very clever, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda....it was fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using just the zipper pulls by themselves. I wonder what it would look like if you tried taking pairs of them and putting them and to end and linking them at the handles? Perhaps putting a bead between pairs? Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Claudia. I love your suggestion and I will try that idea down the track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The added bow really adds a feminine touch, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica. I use Anthropologie as my inspiration. I discovered them when I was in San Francisco and just fell in love. They always seem to put a quirky twist to their stuff.

      Delete