Sunday, 23 June 2013

Retro Sunbeam Mixmaster Magic

Generally this blog is about refashions and upcycling, but there is also a recycling element to it. I like to rescue old things that often get thrown out and I have done this all my adult life. I have a passion for mid-century design and love all things retro. So much so that my late 1960's house is a mixture of  mostly retro and some new contemporary pieces. Today was a glorious winter's day with the sun shining bright so Horrie and I  set off for the The Waverley Antiques Market . It is a massive space full of all things retro. For quite some time I have been lusting after a 1950's Sunbeam Mixmaster. I spotted one in a thrift store approx 1 year ago at only $75.00 but I was 1 minute too late as another retro fancier had beaten me to it. I have found them in retro stores here in Australian but mostly they are $100-$150 plus. I can't justifying spending that much money on a cake mixing device even if it is beautiful. Anyway today in a dark dusty corner of this market I found my mixer and at a price that I was happy to pay. It is in working order so I parted with $48.00 and proudly showed off my exceptional buy to Horrie. The funny thing is that neither of us have a sweet tooth and I have not baked a cake in 2 years. I had to test my gorgeous Sunbeam Mixmaster so tonight I baked a cake. May I share a slice of Apple and Cinnamon Teacake with you?
I have a perfect spot for the Sunbeam Mixmaster on my 1950's kitchen dresser.

Close up pre wash.

Ohhhh Ahhhh works a treat. Note to self.....when adding dry ingredients to a wet mixture start on the setting that reads "adding dry ingredients", otherwise you end up with a nice flour shower. Also note the orange retro measuring cup that I have had since the stone age.....well it seems that long ago.

Retro 1960's ballerina plate at the ready for my special cake.

Just out of the oven and cooling.

Butter glaze topped with homemade cinnamon sugar, ready to eat.



3 comments:

  1. Well done on your sunbeam find, about six months ago I purchased a vintage mixer on eBay and it cost a lot more than $48! What a co-incidence that we visited Waverley Antiques on the same day! Sadly for us, we left empty handed this time.

    Your apple tea cake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Looks just like the one my mum used to have. Happy (infrequent) baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh I am hoping this inspires me to bake more often. Nothing beats(no pun intended) a home baked cake.

    ReplyDelete