Thursday, 8 November 2012

"Thread Astaire" Necklace.

The "Thread Astaire" Necklace harks back to another era where men were stylish, classy and debonair. Fred Astaire was what we call today....a triple threat. He was the Hugh Jackman of his day as he could sing, dance and act. He lived in an era when clothes were made to look beautiful and they were tailored to the highest standard.

I found a beautiful J & P Coats vintage thread and spool at a retro stall and instantly feel in love with it. In the old days, cotton thread was sold on beautiful wooden spools. Instantly I knew that I had to buy it so I was quite happy to part with $4.00. The thread has never been unwound and it is still in its original unused state. When I saw this spool,  I visualized a statement necklace. This piece of history needed to be the hero.....so I kept the necklace simple and therefore the "Thread Astaire" Necklace was born

Vintage wooden cotton spool.

Beautiful label. Will keep this intact

Bottom of the spool. The hole is a result of the vintage spool holder that it was displayed on.

Mod Podge the spool to prevent the thread from unraveling and to give a richness in colour to the wooden spool. I have placed a paint brush in the centre to prevent the glue from pooling and closing up the hole.

This necklace is old and tired but the chain is perfect for this project. I am going to remove the dangly threads and the two baubles. I am going to re-use the two silver beads either side of the big brown bauble.

Start constructing the necklace. I have a plain black bead to secure the bottom of the spool and prevent it from falling out. I will also add a smaller silver bead below the black bead to finish the look, with the larger silver bead at the top of the spool..

Completed necklace worn against a white tee.

Penelope Hanger models necklace with a grey retro style tee.

Close up

Penelope Hanger wearing her "Thread Astaire" Necklace.

Too good to use in a sewing project but beautiful enough to wear.




4 comments:

  1. This is so clever. I am always picking up vintage spools of thread at thrift stores. I will have to look for a good candidate to feature in a necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Think I will make some with my empty wood spools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous - what a clever idea xx

    ReplyDelete