Sunday, 16 September 2012

Sweet Pea Purse

I am a bower bird so on my thrifting adventures I collect vintage lace, braiding, buttons and fabric. I have no project in mind when I buy them so I store them in my thrifting nest for use at a later date. Recently I found a tapestry coin purse at my favourite thrift store. A bargain at $2.99 and quite pretty. When I saw it, I knew that it was the perfect size to store 3 or 4 lipsticks. I do have a lipstick case but it only stores one lipstick and I have never found a lipstick case that stores more than one, so I decided to create my own. My mood changes during the course of the day so when I refresh my lipstick I tend to change the colour. Hence I currently have 4 lipsticks floating around in the bottom of my handbag. This is a problem as they become hard to locate and the lids tend to detach, resulting in a stained handbag.

The solution to this dilemma is the Sweet Pea Purse.


Pretty tapestry coin purse.

Vintage doily with a hole. I purchased 3 for 50 cents.

Stash of vintage lace and braiding.

I cut two pieces of each for the front and back of the coin purse. I then started to hand sew the braiding to the top of the lace.

1970's floral fabric which I will use in this project.

I have finished sewing the braiding to the lace but I think that it needs more so I will come back to it.

This is my vintage Welsh tweed that I have used in other projects.

Stash of vintage buttons. Which ones shall I pick for this project.

In this pic the lace trim is now complete. One piece is trimmed with pink buttons and the other piece with white buttons. At the top of the pic is my tweed flower. The biggest circle is the tweed. The middle circle is a flower cut from my floral 1970's fabric. The smallest circle is a blue flower from the damaged doily. I sewed all these into place and then Mod Podge to stop the tweed from unraveling.

This is the finished coin purse. There are extra elements of pink ric rac and a large lace flower(again from a length of lace trim) which I carefully cut out. I then sewed a smaller purple flower from the 1970's floral fabric and finally finished it with a pink button. The blue bunch of flowers was cut from the damaged doily. The final step was to hand sew them into place onto the purse.

This is the second side of the purse with the white button trim up top. On the left you can see the tweed flower along with pink ric rac and some leftover tea stained lace in the middle. Further flowers with further buttons are also added.

The key to the Sweet Pea Purse is to keep building and building and building. The end result is well worth it and I now have a good size traveling lipstick container.