Saturday, 2 June 2012

"Seven Seas" Tee

 Do I have a whizz bang sewing machine...uuummmm no. (Still have my reliable old basic Singer from when I first got married a very long time ago)
Do I have any artistic talent.....hmmm, it is going to have to be a no on that one too.(Always wanted to be able to sing and draw, but the talent gene skipped from my father straight to my daughter).
Do I have a good imagination....finally a yes! (I can usually visualize how I want something to look. Then it is just a matter of creating all the steps in between).

"Seven Seas" Tee started with a bit of imagination and a lot of figuring out. Here is this process step by step.


Begin with a plain tee. I found this one at a thrift store for 30 cents.


Add some cool nautical fabric. This old retro fabric was found at my local Hunter Gatherer thrift store. 


Here is the original concept. Now all I have to do is figure out how I am going to create this.


Here is my drawing of an old pirate ship. It would be a lot easier for me to print images off the internet. Sadly however, during our last computer upgrade the computer tech somehow managed to wipe our existing  printing function which we did not discover until some months later when we needed to print a document. Oh no!!!! that means that I am going to have to freehand draw.


Interfacing is essential for the next step.



Trace your sailing ship onto the interfacing.


Place wrong side of fabric underneath interfacing. Pin it so you have a good spread of your nautical images.


Use a straight stitch and sew along the whole of your drawing.


Next step is to zigzag your ship. Follow the straight stitching outline that you have created. I have flipped this piece over so you can get a sense of what it will look like.


Carefully use your seam ripper to get into the sections that are not part of the sailing ship and then use your scissors to create these tricky gaps. Cut as close to the zigzag stitching as possible without cutting into it.


Carefully cut gaps look great and give the sailing ship a cool outline.


Pin your ship to the tee and then start sewing with a straight stitch just on the inside of the zig zag stitching. I only sewed around the border of the sailing ship.


Wow....I am pretty happy with this result. Mrs LRM made designer tee with a retro funky look. All up this cost me approx 50 cents in materials.


















1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome applique!!! I'd definitely say you have artistic talent!

    ReplyDelete